FOLLOW YOUR NORTH STAR,

YOUR FIRST PRINCIPLE.

When I feel my life is bereft of meaning or purpose I have no feeling. I feel empty. My guiding principle is to be kind, caring and compassionate. 

I must be engaged with others to do better, or why bother? But, sometimes I find myself alone. The mission is to stay healthy and to be positive. Which means turning off the cable news and social media and being present.

I do my best to be a good single-parent, son, brother and friend, employee, boss, or co-worker. There are a lot of challenges to deal with and balance. There are times I need to be alone to charge my batteries and other times I need to be helping someone.  “I am here to help “is my mantra. It is true – if you want to feel better, help somebody. I always do or try.

However, there are times I forget to take care of myself. That North Star leads me astray and I find myself lost in the wilderness of self-doubt and I am overwhelmed by the big picture. Big dreams and big expectations are a lot to shoulder and carry if you do not know where you are going and how to get there.

Perhaps, living a virtuous life is its own reward? I need to know that I am making a difference. I have never really thought about legacy until now. Yet, I want to leave something behind. 

If the butterfly effect is to be believed and if I spread my wings and fly higher and stronger it could cause a ripple that multiplies and becomes a tsunami. Maybe I can make a change. Cause a ruckus. Start a revolution. And wait for it, be legendary. 

I will never know until I try. Our life is as big and voluminous as we choose to make it. Today, I choose to be the North Star and share, coach, teach all those I can touch with my words, stories, and experiences to find their guiding principle, meaning, and purpose. If I do not, what am I doing here? But, wandering around in the dark.

JEFF TURNBULL  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TRIBALISM WILL SURELY KILL US ALL

GET BACK TO NORMAL? - WHAT THE F*CK!

TREATING THE SYMPTOMS NOT THE CAUSE.