How to Achieve Mental Wealth.


The other day I was listening to a podcast and they were discussing mental health. The question at hand was - if mental health, or a brain disorder, is caused strictly due to a chemical imbalance?

The eventually landed on the idea that it is a combination of chemical imbalance and a person's emotional state. Of course, one's emotional state has a lot of different contributing factors.

If a person's emotional state is not steady or stable it tends to fluctuate. Depending on the individual or one's state may cycle rapidly i.e. a person who is Bipolar may go up and down like a roller coaster. A person who is not Neuro-divergent and who is relatively healthy - mentally wise may only have a blip or a mild disappearance throughout their day.

Come what may - it is similar to the chicken and the egg paradox. If someone has troubling thoughts, that may cause them to get emotionally upset. Which inturns stirs the cauldron of neurochemistry causing one to enter a state that may or may not cause that person to alter the overall state causing them to go from reactive depression to clinical depress if said upset is not addressed and not reconciled.
When I had a bad depression I would have physical markers to give me a heads up. One was that I would have a metallic taste in my mouth. Like a nickel on my tongue. The other would be a swirling sensation in the middle of my forehead. As if someone was drawing little circles over my third eye.

Mental Wealth is all about keeping the balance. Rough seas will cause a disturbance. It is how we handle these swells and crests that matter. Yes, the chemistry will change. Yes, we will encounter emotions. And, absolutely we will slip into stinking thinking. The point is how long we allow this to occur before pulling up the anchor. If we let the downward pull weigh us down, we may not get up. I am Bipolar I. I have a 1 in 5 chance of ending my own life.

I tend to be mindful of my mind, heart and physical states so that I can stay afloat so that I can navigate the difficult waters of the everyday.

JEFF TURNBULL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TRIBALISM WILL SURELY KILL US ALL

GET BACK TO NORMAL? - WHAT THE F*CK!

TREATING THE SYMPTOMS NOT THE CAUSE.